Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Peacock Necklace


 I am wearing "the peacock necklace" today.  The necklace doesn't really look like a peacock;  it's a large pendant, strung on several strands of black and crystal beads.  The pendant has the fluorescent blues and greens of a peacock. It is handmade, a one-of-a-kind, special. Someone I once knew gave it to me... a girly gift from one girly-girl to another... When my friend gave me the necklace, she wrapped it in a long thin box, and included a peacock feather along with a note that read something like this: "Hi.  I am a peacock necklace. Wear me whenever you are feeling a bit low or when you are lacking in self-confidence.  I will be a reminder to you that you are more beautiful than a peacock, and that you are loved by the one who gave me to you."





Now, years later, I can't find that  narrow box; nor, can I locate the feather or the note... Perhaps they are packed away in some obscure drawer or perched on a high closet shelf amongst other sentimental treasures..








I can't seem to find the friend who gave me the necklace, either.  How sad  that we have come to this - having known and loved each other, only to lose track of tine, allow miles and schedules and miscellany to all but erase a friendship. Even so, I am wearing the peacock necklace today.  A reminder that deep down I am pretty, even if not another soul on earth vocalizes it.  A reminder that I am valuable, even when it doesn't seem so.  A reminder that another day will dawn, and that "this too shall pass."


.
     Shalom y'all-
        Twyla

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Peacock Necklaces come in a variety of design and colors. Stones of diamonds and Polish are used with stunning Enamel hand paints. The necklaces are all adjusted with traditional Indian threaded cords, which are adjusted around the neckline for desired length. Thanks a lot...

    Peacock Necklace

    ReplyDelete