Sunday, October 31, 2010

Canning Planning

     Whew! I feel almost completely human today - almost completely over my cold and eye infection.  Still need to take the antibiotic eyedrops a couple more days, and go back to the doctor Tuesday. Eye infections are not something to mess around with! 
     Haven't had much to say the past few days.  Haven't done a whole lot, either.  Sometimes I think a cold is the worst kind of illness.  You just don't feel good enough to do anything other than the very basics.  Then, when you start feeling better, there's a lot of catching up to do. Today I caught up on the laundry, cleaned the kitchen real good, and did all the floors - sweeping, mopping, vacuuming.  Tomorrow I hope to catch up on  food prep.
a few jars of Summer's bounty

      Which brings me to todays' topic: planning canning/ canning planning.  I have all the jars and the ingredients lined up on the breakfast room table, ready to make some wonderful minced pear relish tomorrow.  I made a batch of it about a month ago, and it was dee-lish!! I've been looking for more pears ever since... finally found  a few more pounds of them a couple days ago, so will make it, can it, label it, and shelf it in the morning.  Now, I'm not talking about the pears you buy in the grocery store. I don't want 'em sprayed with pesticides, and  waxed to prevent bruising.  Not driven across the country and stored  for weeks before arriving in the store. No.  I'm talking about locally-grown, organic, IMPERFECT pears... the kind that make PERFECTLY delicious preserves.   Maybe tomorrow I'll share the recipe and  some photos.  This recipe is so good it'll make you wanna' slap your Mamma!
                                         Shalom Y'all - Twyla
   

No comments:

Post a Comment