Thursday, October 28, 2010

That's One Happy Dawg

Uhhh, I'm a happy dawg.  Can you tell?
    
      I've never been a dog person.  I didn't dislike dogs.  And, I wasn't particularly afraid of them.  I was just always a cat person... Had at least one feline friend all my life.  And, still do.
     Then, along comes Moxie.  If you've read my blog before, you know that we adopted Moxie from friends of ours "back home".  Now, I've known a few dogs I liked - dogs that belonged to friends and family.  I've even "dog-sat" for Puppy, my mother's little dog.  But, I've never really, really, REALLY known a dog like I know Moxie.
     Moxie should've been a rock star.  Or a movie star.  She is so special.  She is a giant teddy bear when we lay on the floor to watch old TV shows on the computer (Netflix is great!). She is a watch dog. She is a nursemaid if I'm not feeling well - won't leave my side.  She is comic relief (see photo above).  She's friends with all the chickens and with CassPurr.  She's Moxie The Wonderdog!!!
     And, so, here I am.  A certified cat person; and, what did I do all afternoon?  I made homemade organic dogfood and dog biscuits.  Here is the recipe for the dog biscuits, adapted from a recipe I found on Bullwinkle.com.  Maybe I'll write my recipe for organic dogfood another day.

                                          Homemade Dog Treats

                                     1 Cup rolled oats
                                     1/3 Cup shortening (I used rendered chicken fat)
                                     1 Cup boiling water
                                     3/4 Cup cornmeal
                                     1 Tablespoon sugar
                                     1 Chicken boullion cube (you could use beef flavor, if desired)
                                     1/2 cup milk
                                     1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
                                     1 Egg, beaten
                                     2 Cups white or wheat flour

          Preheat oven to 325. Grease cookie sheets.  Combine rolled oats, shortening, and water in large bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.  Stir in cornmeal, sugar, boullion, milk, cheese and egg.  Mix well.  Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing well.
          On floured surface knead dough, adding additional flour as needed, until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.  Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness' cut with cookie cutter.  Place on cookie sheets.
          Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown.  Store, covered, after they are completely cooled.
          For me, this made 2 & 1/2 dozen large bone-shaped treats... enough for one-per-day for a month! My hubby made the bone-shaped cookie cutter just for Moxie.  Like I said, she should've been a movie star... and we could be her entourage.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! I already adore Moxie! Thank you Moxie, for making my Mom so happy :o)

    ReplyDelete