Tuesday, October 19, 2010

On opening the mail...

Twyla, age 4, with her parents
     Oh, my goodness. I received a letter in the mail.  It was from my Dad, and arrived in a big yellow envelope.  I couldn't imagine what it might be... Something important; maybe a legal document of some sort, maybe he and Mom updated their will or something? Or, maybe it was some sort of bill? (Ugh). Or, maybe something to do with my recent court appearance for the case of my purse being stolen?  All these thoughts raced through my head as I opened the big envelope.
     When I opened it, I realized that Dad had received a letter addressed to me and had forwarded it in the big envelope.  My heart skipped a beat when I read the return address on the inner envelope.  It was from my best friend way back when I was ages 6 to 10.  My family moved to another state when I was 10. My friend and I wrote to each other for quite a while; then, stopped.  I have thought of her many, many times over the years.  And I have recounted stories of her family life while teaching women's Bible classes, etc. I always thought of her parents as miraculous.
Twyla, age 16
  
      Come to find out, my friend has thought of me, too.  Her letter explained that she has googled my name on and off through the years... finally got a hit, and after corresponding with one of my high school classmates, got my parents' address.
  
      Imagine that!  My friend, Marilyn, and I are going to start emailing, etc. after all these years. (I refuse to admit how MANY years that is!!!)  I so look forward to finding out about her life, her parents, her brothers.  Does she have children? Grandchildren? What does she do as hobbies?  Etc., etc., etc. I'm going to email her as soon as I finish this, and can't wait to hear her reply!
And, Twyla now...

Make new friends,
Keep the old.
One is silver;
the other is gold.

Shalom Y'all - Twyla

No comments:

Post a Comment