Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cloak Exchange




Today we are working on closets.  Ugh.  Now, don't get me wrong - I love organization.  But, it's the DOING of it,  the accomplishment of it,  the actual organizing that I don't like so much...  Well, a couple weeks ago we were putting away a bunch of costumes after one of my famous tea parties, when the closet rod broke.  And, I mean broke!  The brackets broke holding the closet rod, causing the metal shelves to fold upon themselves.  There was an avalanche of costumes, hats, boxes of jewelry, extra bed pillows,  and various other junk that had no business being in there in the first place.











So, today Moshe is installing a new closet rod in there and we are revamping what goes where. The closet that used to hold the costumes now holds some of his stuff, and vice-versa.  And, this made me think of the ancient custom of the cloak exchange...











The ancient cloak exchange was a covenant.  Covenants between God and man are not for common people; they are for chosen people. Covenants usually begin with God - not with us.  And, covenants usually have some sort of exchange.. In a cloak exchange (also called a robe exchange), the two parties would exchange robes as a constant reminder that the other person is now holding your most precious personal; item, and you are wearing theirs and they yours...  In those days, one's robe served as his coat, his bed and/or pillow, and his knapsack for carrying things and for harvesting into.

 One's robe also might advertise one's social status according to what it looked like,  the type of  fabric, and the quality of the workmanship.  (We all know the story of Joseph and his coat of many colors... That coat was, no doubt, a very nice coat... Nice enough to make his brothers very, very jealous.)





Isaiah 61:10 says, "He covers me with the robe of righteousness."  Jesus formed a covenant with me and exchanged His robe for mine.  He exchanged His royal robe for my filthy rags.  When the Heavenly Father looks at me, He sees the righteousness of Jesus the Messiah;  I am wearing His cloak of righteousness.  My sin exchanged for His righteousness,  my sickness for His healing,  my will for His will,  my lack for His riches.
Shalom  Y'all - Twyla

No comments:

Post a Comment