Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If I Only Had A Brain...

Yep, I've been singing this little ditty from  "The Wizard of Oz"  for almost 24 hours now... Ever since supper last night... I fixed something for Moshe's supper last night that he's never had before - "The Brain".  Like most of my recipes,  my version of  "The Brain" is different from everybody else's - it's sort of a combination of  what I've tasted in other people's homes, plus recipes I've read, and, mostly, knowing what we spices we like here at Green Acres. (Does that make it my brainchild?)

 This dish is so-o-o easy to make, and we found it absolutely delicious.  So delicious, in fact, that we ate the whole thing!  It became the entire meal, and we were very happy with that!  So, here is my recipe:











The Brain
One Whole Cauliflower Head
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1/3 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup Dried Bread Crumbs
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper







Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Wash the cauliflower; remove leaves and stem; steam in 1/2 inch water for 15 minutes; remove.  Spray baking dish with vegetable oil spray.  In a small mixing bowl, mix together the bread crumbs Parmesan cheese, and the dry spices.  Sprinkle about a tablespoon of this mixture  in the bottom of the baking dish.  Then, set the cauliflower in the dish.  Sprinkle the garlic over the cauliflower and rub it in with the back of a spoon.  Slather the cauliflower with mayonnaise.  Sprinkle the rest of the bread crumb mixture over the cauliflower, and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.

When I took this treasure out of the oven, we knew we were going to love it!  Moshe was hungrier than me... I took 1/4 of the cauliflower onto my plate;  he took half of the cauliflower.  When we sat down, Moshe said, "Gee... if I had half a brain....."  (Groan.)  We do a lot of groaning around here, which explains why I've been humming that Wizard of Oz tune all day...
SHALOM  Y'ALL - TWYLA

No comments:

Post a Comment