Sunday, December 26, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside...

the little birdhouse next to the house...

 
      If you happened to read my post yesterday, you would've seen that I was the only one really awake and alert for several hours yesterday morning.  I was wondering where the big weather-front was that "they" had predicted... Well, it showed up around 8:30 or 9 AM, and continued throughout all of yesterday and part of last night.  As it was getting dark last night, our estimate of snow in our secluded little world was eight- inches-and counting...   By dusk the chicken arks were officially snowed in.   Ark #2 actually had a little snow drift going up one side of it.  I never tried to gather any afternoon eggs;  it would've meant cleaning off the layer of snow on top of the arks, and I figured the chickens would rather have the insulation provided by the snow than have their eggs removed. 
     We ventured outside yesterday afternoon, when the amount of snow was four or five inches, and took some photos.   I hope to get out again today and take more pics;  surely there must be some interesting snow sculptures out there, created by snow, ice, wind, gravity....

Moxie, playing in the back yard

     For our "big snow day" I made cornbread for breakfast.  And a rasher of bacon - turkey bacon, that is.  It was a different brand than what I usually buy, and it was very good.  CassPurr was CRAZY about it;  the moment I opened the package, he sniffed the air and started begging.  (Very unusual for "Mr Aloof";  he normally couldn't care less about people food!)  He ate at least one whole slice of bacon, acting very primal with each tidbit I handed him.  It was very humorous to me, seeing him act so ferocious.  Later, he slept and slept and slept... to the point that we went looking for him to make sure he was okay... I quipped that he must have overdosed on nitrites.  Moxie, on the other hand, was excited about the snow.  She was in and out like an excited seven-year-old, wanting to play in the snow, but needing to come in and tell Mom and Dad all about it every few minutes.  I, as usual, catered to her whims... she was so cute in her enthusiasm.
  

Ooo - ooo-ooo... looking out my front door...
 Although I spent a good bit of time in the kitchen yesterday, fixing food for various animals and humans; then, cleaning up from food preparations; then, cleaning up the aftermath of meal;  it was Sabbath, so I didn't do any major cleaning, laundry, etc.  So, I watched almost an entire season of "Cake Boss"  on Netflix.  The show was hilarious - a combination of looking at the fabulous art Carlo's Bakery creates, and the dynamics involved in this big Italian family working together.  I would have loved to have been a cake decorator;  I could easily imagine myself creating those wonderful edible works of art.  The other thing I wish I could have been is a window dresser... As in the beautiful windows of the forties and fifties in New York City.  Create, create, CREATE!!! 
    But, alas, I only have this one life that God gave me, so I will have to "settle" for redecorating the house, preparing colorful and creative meals, and taking photos of God's handiwork in the snow...
the snow drift is just beginning to form on Ark #2
     Shalom Y'all - Twyla

No comments:

Post a Comment