Monday, December 27, 2010

Miscellany from Green Acres

Icicles at the window of our "Cozy"


Umm . . . I like your belt.
So, it is Monday morning once again.  We had a quiet weekend... lots of movies and popcorn, eating leftovers,  not doing much other than the necessities... which, actually, is quite a bit when you think of it!  Regardless of weather and regardless of our health,  the animals need to be fed and watered,  eggs need to be gathered,  wood needs to be collected and the fire in the wood stove  kept alive.  I spent nearly every moment hugging the heating pad yesterday;  I either had it on my feet or my knees most of the day.  I just could not get warm.  Then, last night, I remembered a giant furry grey poncho that a friend gave me several years ago... it is now my newest "uniform" - to be worn every day until.....???  I never had to wear school uniforms, but I did have to wear white nurses uniforms... ever the optimist, I would hear other nurses complaining about the boredom of having to wear white, and I would always answer, "Yes, but it makes it so easy to decide what to wear!"   The big grey poncho is making it easy now.


      This morning, after getting the basic chores done, we went out with our cameras to capture some more of the snow scenes... especially now that the sun is shining and the snow is melting a bit.  Just look at the icicles hanging off the eaves above the "Cozy Room" window!  And, IF you can take your eyes off my hubby's outfit, take a gander at the size of that icicle from the eaves on the front of the house!!!


   Moxie and Beau are having a ball playing in the snow.  Beau is still skittish, but did cooperate a little bit better for picture-taking today.  Most of the time when I try to snap his picture, all I get is his hind end.  Today he was a lot more comfortable.  I've been feeding him for about two weeks now.  It makes me really sad, realizing that someone must have been really mean to him for him to be so wary of people.  And, that someone purposely abandoned him in the dead of winter.  He came up to me two or three times and licked my hand, but I have yet to pet him.  He sees Moxie loving all over Moshe and me, but, I guess he's just not ready to trust us.  If nothing else, I am glad that Moxie has this great friend to roam the woods with. The two of them take off running together and it's as if they have wings.   Still, I hope the day will come when Beau will want to be our friend.




Beau and Moxie in the woods
      One day late last week I went to the next town over and went grocery shopping;  they were having a big sale, and I wanted to take advantage of it.  I bought a couple turkeys, several pot roasts, several pounds of hamburger;  also, several packages of pasta,  multiple bottles of cooking oil,  multiple cans of coffee, mega- sized packages of paper towels and bathroom tissue.  Everything I bought was on sale.   Of course, then I had to come home and put all the stuff away... A turkey in the cooler to thaw and cook,  another turkey in the big freezer,  one pot roast in the refrigerator to fix over the weekend,  the others in the freezers,  the cans of coffee under one of the beds until I can find a better spot... etc.  So, today I went into the art room for some reason, and there was the cooler!  We had both forgotten about the turkey!  Sheesh!  It was still okay, and Moshe has it soaking in brine and we will bake it overnight tonight.  (Wow!  Will the house ever smell good tomorrow morning!)  Of course, ever the comedienne, I couldn't help but say that it's a good thing we are too old to have children... 'cause we would forget
where we put them!
Pretty Face and the snow


     I have to wonder what the chickens think about the snow.  (DO chickens think??? Well,  you know what I mean...)  The weather plays such nasty tricks on them!  For the most part, they have all stayed "upstairs" in their roosts all weekend.  I'm sure it's warmer up there.  And drier.  Poor Pretty Face is in her little broody coop still.  She will have with her anywhere from three to six of the Peeps, which are now nearly half-grown chickens.  The others all huddle together in the peep house at the other end of the screened "courtyard".  They come out to eat and drink, but that's about it.  Pretty Face starts talking to me the second she sees me standing at the sliding glass door.  And, I don't think she is exactly saying, "I love you.".  I wonder if they think we can somehow control the snow??? Or the temperature???  Who knows.

     Okay,  just in case anybody is wondering about Moshe's big wide white belt,  it is an abdominal brace.  We bought it last week to help support his broken rib.  (And it really helps, too!) Yesterday afternoon, when he came in from the snow, I called him the "Abdominal Snowman."  Nice, huh?


...the grim reaper meets the abdominal snowman...    ;D
                                                              

Shalom Y'all


     Twyla

No comments:

Post a Comment