Monday, November 22, 2010

Goin' ta Town

     Yes, I remember living in cities (as large as San Francisco) and towns (as small as one square block). And all the hustle and bustle. The "importance" of  clothes, hairstyle, perfect fingernails... remember "Dress for Success"?  Make all the right appearances to fit in to the corporate world.  Or the hospital scene, which, actually is also the corporate world.   I remember thinking it was almost unbearable if I didn't go shopping every day.  At least window-shopping.  Ahhh, but now...
poor scared baby...
   Goin' ta town means we actually have to leave our little neighborhood.  We write lists of what we need and where we'll go to get these things.  Today we needed some groceries and a few things at the feed store.  We grocery-shopped first, then stopped at the feed store on the way home. The feed store is one of my favorite-of-all-time places.  It's like "Cheers" - where everybody knows your name, only minus the alcohol, of course.  This morning at the feed store we met a newly-adopted kitten;  she had shown up literally starving at their doorstep, and they took her in.  They already have one resident cat at the feedstore.  And a rabbit. So, what's one more little urchin?  I, personally, have taken in so many strays over the years, I doubt seriously that I could recall them all.
some of the more girly stuff at the feed store...
    
Like I said, I love the feed store.  We needed to buy  cracked corn, laying pellets, mash for the peeps.  We also bought a new choke chain for Moxie, since she lost hers a couple weeks ago.  The store is chock full of interesting things, many of which I haven't the slightest idea about what they are.  But, for someone like me, it's always interesting to see the farm equipment intermingled with cast iron skillets, country art items, animal feed, and a few antiques.  Conversation is always good at the feed store.  We talk about everything from politics to pig-raising. (Or,  is that the same thing???) Sorry... couldn't resist...
     Yes, I remember living in San Francisco, working at Macy's of California. Wearing those tailored suits.  I even had a couple jobs where I carried a briefcase!  I remember buying "Cosmopolitan" and "The New Yorker" magazine.  And, I remember  living in the Atlanta area, going to nursing school in Atlanta, wearing those crisp white uniforms and lab coats with "RN" embroidered on them.  The starched white nurses' cap - the pride of receiving the stripe on it.  And, I subscribed to "American Journal of Nursing" and "RN Magazine"
     And, NOW,  here is the cover of a magazine that caught my eye this morning:

No, we don't raise pigs.  And, we don't eat pigs.  But, I DO LOVE THIS MAGAZINE COVER!  "... Green Acres is the place to be..."
Shalom Y;all - Twyla

No comments:

Post a Comment