Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thursday - A Day in the Life...

...CassPurr peeking out the curtain...


     I like Thursdays.  Thursday is usually my day to catch up on everything,  do miscellaneous chores, maybe bake something.  I hardly ever go into town on a Thursday, so it seems like the day is longer and more enjoyable. 
     The garbage truck picks up our trash on Thursdays. Now, probably to most people garbage day is not exactly something to get excited about... But, up here in these mountains, we can't put our garbage out until collection day.  If we do, the bears will come and overturn the trash can and scatter garbage all over the place.  So, whatever trash we accumulate during the week I have to store in my laundry room.  For a while there last summer, the bears were hauling our trash off into the woods.  I joked that if I could count on them to do so every time, I'd cancel the garbage collection service...  But, alas, even that would not be a very good solution... now that the leaves have fallen off most of the trees, we can see remnants of where the bears hauled the trash.  Moshe is out in the woods picking it up today.
feeding the Golden Comets
    
So far today I have done the normal chores like making the bed, straightening things up, doing laundry. I also fed the chickens so that Moshe could continue on his projects. Yesterday I made a BIG pot of my special "Sneak-in-the-Veggies" Spaghetti sauce.  We had some last night with Moshe's just-baked Focaccia bread. Yummy.  Today, I got out the big canner and canned 3 quarts and 1 pint of the sauce.  We had it again for lunch, and the remainder of the sauce is going in the freezer.  Oh, I baked a cake, too... haven't tasted it yet... it's cooling on the kitchen counter.  Should be scrumptious - pineapple, cherry, pecan upside down cake.  We will enjoy some of it, and the rest will go to the freezer for a rainy day or some such...
     Oh, I scrubbed all the kitchen cabinets and appliances with clorox solution.  One of those "thankless jobs", yet I enjoy doing it.  Everything looks so nice and white and clean... Yes, I am somewhat of a clean nut.  Some of this is, I think, because I was an Operating Room Nurse for several years. Once you really understand the difference between clean and dirty, it becomes second nature.  Nevertheless, somebody teased me once, saying, "You have to repaint your cabinets because you scrub the paint off; the rest of us have to paint our cabinets because they're so dirty."  Okay.....
  
...ready to pounce...

Shalom y'all-
Twyla


      CassPurr is in rare form today.  He made me laugh several times this morning;  he was feeling very playful  and kittenish.  At one point he was peeking out between the curtain panels that divide the art room from the "Cozy" room - the name  Moshe gave to the end of the kitchen with the wood stove.  After getting his picture taken peeking out, he began playing with the decorative scraps of fabric, yarn, beads, etc. I have hanging on the curtains.  Both CassPurr and Moxie LOVE walking through the curtains, looking as if they were wearing veils.

     This afternoon I'm hoping to have the energy to go outside and help Moshe pick up deadwood for fire wood.  I do have a disability, and can get fatigued fairly easily, but I  fondly remember the old days when I used to work outside all day. Nowadays a couple hours is enough.  Still, I would like to help. (Plus, it would be a good rationalization tool for eating some of that cake!)

No comments:

Post a Comment