Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Pot Belly Redo

the pot belly
  
      Day before yesterday Moshe finished installing the pot belly stove.  We've enjoyed the radiant heat in the evenings and mornings, despite it getting up to 75 degrees outside this afternoon.  Up here in these mountains, once the sun goes down it chills pretty quickly.  Imagine-  32 degrees this morning and 75 this afternoon!  We are staring to get in the habit of restocking the firewood every morning.  It makes a terrible mess of my kitchen floor...  But then, once it's brought in,  I can sweep and mop and get back to the "normal" routine. (IS there any such thing as normal?)
     Being an artist at heart and an interior decorator by some sort of gift since childhood, the new stove gave me another area to redecorate.   I am constantly redecorating.  Fortunately, Moshe doesn't seem to mind.  He always likes what I've done with the place.  He did comment, though, "It's a good thing you weren't Helen Keller's mother."

cozy radiant heat
  

      Well, you know how it goes.  First you buy the stove and the stovepipe and everything you need for the installation.  Then, you realize you'll need a bucket for ashes. (Sheesh!  Did you know that a metal pail with a lid costs 15 dollars???)  Of course, you'll need some sort of containers to hold firewood and kindling.  Oh, and some fire tools such as a stoker, a small shovel for ashes, etc.  Much like any household project,  it grew into a larger consumption of both time and money than we had planned... But, that's life.  And, I'm not complaining.  Take a look at some of the pictures after only one day of decorating.  All the paintings are my watercolor creations.

the backside of the stove, and the backside of Twyla (loading the dishwasher)
      This photo, taken by the resident photographer - Moshe -
is looking at the backside of the stove, on into the kitchen,  and then on into the dining room and the outdoors. Moxie is lying in the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room, no doubt hoping to get some sort of treat from yours truly.
     I LOVE THIS ROOM!  I love the various plaids together.  And, I love the old chairs.  The old rocker
to the left was my Grandmother's.  I remember it being at her house when I was a little girl.  Beautiful.

the beginnings of redecorating around the pot belly...
  
      The next photo is the front of the stove, looking out the window.  So far, I've hung a couple cast iron items,  put a few metal and ceramic cats nearby, placed my antique tea kettle on the stove.  I'm sure the project will morph as I think of more items that are packed away here and there throughout the house. The old tea cart under the window belonged to my parents "forever".  With the drop-leafs up, it served as our breakfast room table until we started the  redo.  Now, we eat at one end of the big dining room table.  I made the chair cushions and window valance out of an old plaid blanket.  Cool, huh?
the view from the laundry room...

    Shalom Y'all - Twyla

  
       This last photo was taken from the laundry room, looking towards the art studio/workroom.  The crazy black curtain with all the strands of various fabrics, beads, etc.  hides the workroom chaos AND keeps the heat in the parts of the house where we want it .   Last night,  even though the temperature went down to 32, the central heat only came on for about four minutes!  I love it!
        So, now y'all have seen some of our home.
Hope you've enjoyed it.  Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment