Thursday, November 11, 2010

Purple Mushroom, Green Thumb, and I Am Blue


Cortinarius Violaceus:  Pretty, isn't it?
  
       Yep.   Moshe found a PURPLE  MUSHROOM on our property a couple days ago.   Have y'all ever seen a purple mushroom?  Neither of us had ever heard of a purple mushroom, let alone seen one.  But, there it was.
     I  couldn't help myself;  I googled the question, " What is the name of a purple mushroom?"  And,  I got my answer:  Cortinarius Violaceus.  Apparently, these beautiful mushrooms are rare here in the Southeast, so finding it was a treasure.  It sure was pretty.  Moshe is hoping he will find more of them in the same general part of our property.  He wants to try to cultivate them.  The man has a GREEN THUMB, so maybe he can successfully grow purple mushrooms!  After both of us carefully researched the mushroom, we found that it is not poisonous and not hallucinogenic. So, yesterday morning he tasted it, brave soul.  He said it tasted like the porcini mushrooms most of us are familiar with.  No ill effects noted after 36 hours, so, they must be okay... (Darn;  I was really hoping he would hallucinate and see me looking like I did when I was twenty-five. Sigh)
     In other news, I am BLUE. The peeps are permanently outside; my babies are gone. They have a nice little set-up, though:  a  pet carrier for shelter, surrounded by a chicken wire fence which creates a good-sized "courtyard" for them to eat greens, scratch in the dirt, and do all the chicken things that chickens do. The entire set-up is covered with chicken wire to keep the peeps in and predators out. They survived their first night outside with only one hitch:  they wanted to sleep on top of the pet carrier rather than inside it.  Moshe had to go check on them and encourage them to go in the pet carrier for the night.  I guess it makes sense that they wanted to be on top of it; they have the instinct to roost.  Maybe they need some sort of shelf inside the pet carrier...
     I am also blue because, after four years of not requiring glasses, I am wearing them again.   Y'see, I wore glasses practically all my life. Then, in November of 2006 I had cataract surgery.  After the surgery my vision was better than I could ever remember it being.   In fact, it was perfect.  I remember telling my friends and family that I could literally count the needles on a pine bough.  The doctor told me I could wear reading glasses if I needed them, but I seldom wore them.  But recently my vision changed, and I got my new glasses yesterday.  Sigh.  I am thankful for those four years without them.  And, I have to admit it's nice to be able to read the road signs... 
               SHALOM  Y'ALL - TWYLA

No comments:

Post a Comment